Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pretty in Pink


There was so much inspiration for this piece. It all started when I spent hours on Gabrielle Pollacco's website ... her videos are exquisite! I just went into my studio and started working with no plan for what I was going to create. Paint here ... torn paper there ... swipes of gesso on top ... add a spritz and a spray of Tattered Angels! One of the techniques that Gabrielle demoed that I tried was adding texture using a stencil and modeling paste.  Love that!
Then last week I watched Tammy Tutterow's online demonstration Euphoric Ephemera. I didn't know what I would use for decorations, but her examples were perfect. I downloaded one of the (or maybe both of the) vintage graphics from The Graphics Fairy. I also used Tammy's idea of embossing cardstock to look like a cabinet card. In addition, I added half of a doily that I stained with distress inks with a little pink feather tucked under the bow. I love the way to make the bow that Tammy demonstrated.

The postcard is attached only with the swirly paper clip and is tucked under the bow to hold it in place. That way I can change it as needed and even add a photograph. Instead of using foam squares to attach this part of the project, I cut a piece of foam just a bit smaller than the "cabinet card" and attached it with double-sided tape. I like how this adds some real stability to the grouping.
 

Today was the day to put it all together. I had a strip of glossy paper that I made using alcohol inks, a technique that I learned in Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 101 class. I love the way the paper looks like it has many layers of color.  That strip of paper went onto the canvas.The little Eiffel Tower charm was a make and take that I acquired at "convention" last summer in Arlington, Texas; sister and I had a blast that day! Isn't this shrink art just the cutest thing you've ever seen?
That day in Texas I also purchased some ribbon from Melissa Frances ... what a cute flower it turned into! I added a flower made with my go-to Sweet Williams Strip die; it's leaf is another alcohol ink creation on kraft glassine. 
I am submitting this to the following challenges:
Now, where will I hang this?

9 comments:

  1. This is great!! I attend the GASC each year in Arlington! LOVE that show!!! That's where I acquired my first Cheery Lynn Dies!! Thank you for joining us at Cheery Lynn's Challenges! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful mix of textures and colors. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully layered card. Thanks for joining us in the Cheery Lynn Challenge. Good Luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! The layers are lovely. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and so romantic feeling. Love the stenciling and different textures. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the techniques, layers, and textures you've combined to create this beautiful piece! Thank you so much for sharing it with us in the Frilly and Funkie challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how you've taken that inspiration and really run with it here to create a beautiful, delicately coloured project. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie with this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. An absolute shabby delight! I am currently totally stuck on pinks and this is a feast for my eyes! Post cards are always so perfect for a vintage touch and I love your shrink art - I'm a total loss at shrink plastic. Mine NEVER turn out. Great work - a beautiful piece - thanks so much for sharing it with us over at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! Thanks for visiting!